Re: [Harp-L] Repacing whole reed plate concept seems WASTEFULL...

On Sep 10, 2010, at 4:35 AM, Frank Franze wrote:

> The concept of replacing a whole reed plate when only one reed is bad doesn't seems like OVERKILL. One of the MAIN reasons I plan on replacing all my harps with B-RADICALS is the ability to change a single reed as needed.

You pay a very high price for a harp having screwed-on reeds to save the price of a reedplate when the time comes to replace a reed.  You could buy many reedplates for that new-harp price differential.

If your time is worth anything, it will be much faster to replace a working reedplate than to change, gap, and tune a single reed.  Not every player has gapping and tuning skills and equipment.

There is the issue of reed availability...place an order and wait days/weeks for the manufacturer to get around to mailing it.

If replacement plates are available, I would keep a pair and use it as a source of reeds.  When time came to replace a reed, I would glue it on. (In response to email inquiries, I'll send you detailed, illustrated instructions for attaching reeds with glue.)

You could also pay more up front for stainless steel reeds and enjoy longer reed life.

You can keep a backup harp to use while a technician changes the reed for you.

There are many viable trade-offs.  The method you choose depends on your abilities, time vs money, and preferences.

Vern