[Harp-L] Tokyo Harp

I posted asking about Tokyo and got a couple of responses offlist, not much there I guess. but in case others are searching before a trip here's the scoop. I gave up on finding anything while I was there, and even went to Hard Rock (which I don't like very much in general) to see if I could hear some live music. It was just after 10pm and the band had already packed up (??).

The bartender recommended a place called Bauhaus right down the street (this was in the Rappongi entertainment district, packed full of partiers, hookers, hustlers, etc on a Thurs night). In fact everyone I talked to recommended this place for live music. So I went over and was approached as soon as I entered by someone asking me "if I play", so I said yes and the guy gave me a sort of karaoke book with a bunch of songs listed by bands. I picked Long Train Running by the Doobie Brothers (just went to hear some music, didn't know it was some kind of sit in with the band thing). The band was a great rock outfit, natives but sure well versed in American rock and some blues. They questioned me some on song keys, etc probably afraid of yet another harmonica nightmare, they wanted to see if i had some level of musicianship i guess before allowing me up.

Anyway I got called up, they really rocked it out and gave me plenty of space, nice stage with a walkway out into the audience so I hammed it up some, they ate it up etc etc. Straight through the SM-58 they handed me, James Cotton style with a lot of blues type fills and 4/5 shake on that chorus "without love" part. Cool thing was they gave me some photos of it and a nice t-shirt too. They asked me to sign the photo and put it up on their wall of fame. obviously had me confused with someone else, but there were photos up there of folks like the metallica guys who stopped in to jam a little.

very cool place, highly recommended.

Bill Hines