[Harp-L] Can one make a living playing harp?

I am not a pro, not even close and, recognizing my limitations, have no
aspirations in that direction.  But, I would like to offer a couple of
observations.

First, remarkable talent and burning ambition are so common in the music
world that heartbreak and bitterness is the rule rather than exception.  In
our market, most of the really talented harp players who gig as much as they
want still have a day job.

Second, almost ever successful harp player that I know is a "harp plus"
musician.  They sing, play other instruments, and generally add value to the
band with more than just harp.  The best local harp player I know is also a
talented vocalist and personality.  One of the few full time pro harp
players I know is also a talented vocalist.  A few months back at a private
party, this world famous player pulled out a custom strat and tried out some
guitar plus vocals numbers on the crowd.  He was thinking about adding
guitar to his solo/small venue act.

Summary, don't quit your day job and offer added value.

Bill Kumpe
Tulsa, OK