[Harp-L] For the Minnesota Members: Beaware of this Club

I know several list members live in Minnesota, so I hope it is ok to pass
this information on.  Hopefully a similar experience can be avoided by other
bands!

----------
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com
http://www.facebook.com/MikeFugazziMusic

Be aware of this club:

Prairie Saloon, Kasota, MN

I had an agreement printed out for $500 that was agreed on over the phone.
When we got there he said $350 or we could leave. Well, I promised the guys
in my band $100 each, so I told him we'd play three sets for $400 and tab or
two for $350. I was willing to entertain the idea that there was a
misunderstanding of some sorts. In fact, I tried emailing him the contract
beforehand, but they kept bouncing back and I didn't follow-up with a call,
so I was willing to try and reach a compromise that got my guys paid.
However, I know that I wouldn't have played there for less than $400
considering we had to bring the PA. Again, I only took the stage since I
promised my guys money and still had the chance to get it for them.

He said, three sets for $375 and if the till hits $1,200 we'd get $400 (so
we agree to go on). He said that is average and should be no big deal. I
said fine, but I wanted to see where things were at before the third set.

We finish set two and he says they're at $900 (so I know we'll be close to
$1,200 at the end of the night), but we'll for sure get our $400 regardless
because he really wants us to play another set. End of night he is at like
$1,150, drunk, and only wanting to pay me $375. I tell him I spent around
$50 on posters and Facebook ads and he didn't even hang half the posters he
requested. He admits to doing nothing to plug the show accept hang the
posters that Tuesday, even though he told me he would promote. I finally get
him to write a sloppy check for $400 even though I repeatedly ask him to
have someone else write it out.

The bank won't take the check. I call him Monday and he says he'll send a
check for $400 immediately - no problem. I get the check the next day with a
note saying he is only giving me $375 since he didn't hit $1,200 and that is
what we agreed on.

I would never have posted anything like this anywhere had it not been for
the fact that he flat out lied on the phone yesterday about rewriting the
check for $400 and then instantly sending me $375 with a note. He even made
sure to cancel the other check.