[Harp-L] Re: Recommendations for an affordable first amp?

***All of these are NOT battery powered

VHT Special 6  is $189.99 and totally worth it.  I mean, you could get
an Epiphone Valve Jr, but the VHT is point to point, has a 10" speaker
that is alright as is, and it sounds great (stock tubes aren't great,
but useable).  It already has an oversized output transformer and it
sounds great with harp.  It is sort of like a blackface Champ.  If you
use a lower gain preamp tube, you can use the boost pull and do more
of a tweed sound.

IMO, a terrific under $200 small amp.

http://www.vhtamp.com/avsp16.html

Regarding feedback, using an Ultimate 57 I can run the amp to about 3
o'clock (full volume) and the tone to about 10 o'clock in my practice
room...which is a feedback nightmare...so it is pretty sweet.  Stock
it is about as loud as my HG50 1210 on 2 or 2.5.

If that won't work for ya, I'd suggest a used Pro Jr. (tubed down),
Epiphone Valve Jr combo (get the version with the multi tap
transformer that the post '08 ones have) for $160 new or cheaper used,
or even a Fender Super Champ XD used.

If you can get closer to $175 or $200 you can get a really solid amp
that could compete with a band at low volume and be miked front of
house.