Re: [Harp-L] RE: Affordable First Amp

Before Gibson bought them out in 1957, Epiphone made very fine guitars, some
quite expensive.  They were Gibson's direct competitor.

It is true that harp players sometimes overspend in pursuit of the "right"
tone, but it is also true that the vintage equipment used in the 50's is now
either rare, expensive, worn out, or all three.  The clubs today require a
LOT more volume than was common in juke joints back then.  The blues harp
pros we admire today often use modern interpretations of vintage gear.

That does not come cheap.  There is nothing wrong with dropping a few
dollars on good gear.  In the early 50's the harp guys used amps meant for
phonographs, public address systems, guitars, etc.... Not necessarily
because they were cheap, but because they were all there was if they wanted
to emulate the amped tone of LIttle Walter.

I'm not sure that Howlin Wolf or Big Walter or any of the greats of that era
would laugh in Rick Estrin's face as he plays his expensive 100 watt
HarpKing amp.  I think they'd be impressed.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog