[Harp-L] Buddy Guy Legends Monday Jam

I feel that I should follow up here since I am guilty of perpetuating what may now be a false accusation about the jam at Buddy Guy's Legends club in Chicago. Cliff notes in case you don't want to read the long diatribe below: it was alllll good. Go forth, and do not be afraid.

I recently asked on this list about Chicago jams and noted that I wouldn't go to Buddy Guy's Legends club jam because I've heard stories of extreme favoritism to locals, head cutting, etc. My trip got cut down to "one night only" as they say in show biz (even though I was going there for a tech/geek event) so I figured I'd just pack my five essential harps (A, Bb, C, D, G) and practice in my room some, maybe catch an act in town if there was one Monday night, or go check out this notorius jam.

Didn't see much in the way of acts to catch that particular night, at least right nearby as I didn't have a car. So I went to Legends which was only a few blocks from the hotel. They moved to a new location about three months ago. I wasn't going to bring the harps, but since I only had a few I said "what the heck" and stuffed the soft case into my belt, under my jacket. I could always say I went there and tried to play, and got shot down, to add my story to the others. A short cab ride later, I was pushing through the door with some dudes carrying guitar cases. They asked for a $10 cover, but said if you are playing this is waived. I saw the signup sheet and said (dishonestly maybe at the time, as I still had no intention of playing, but by now I'm thinking "hell they aren't going to call me up from what I hear about this place, I might as well sign up") "I'm playing" and went to sign up. The bouncer said "Where's your instrument?" and I said "Harp!" and started to reach behind my jacket. He rolled his eyes and said "Nevermind, go ahead".

I did notice that out of the dozen or so players signed up already, there was nobody playing harp on the list yet. It was pretty early though, about 8:45pm and the jam starts at 9:30. Anyway, to the bar, some beer and dinner, chatting up the local musicians (everyone has a story.....) and folks in town on business or pleasure. I asked the bartender who the guy was that was running the jam, I needed to talk to him. I was going to explain that I had come on a whim, so I only had five harps rather than the full set a "real" musician would travel with, and if that's not OK to take me off the list. Not that I was going to play anyway, but just to be sure. I started having flashbacks of the jam at Rum Boogie in Memphis, packed house, and the singer calls a tune in B, with an E harp being the only one I didn't have on stage with me (had one back in the room, but who's going to call a tune in E? - lesson learned - I thought until now). The house band starts, run by a guy named Jimmy Burns and the house band was pretty damn good - Jimmy on vocals and guitar. Jimmy blew some harp on a number at the end, pretty basic blues stuff into the vocal mic. Big crowd by now, I noticed. Sound man in a proper sound boot, big stage with stage lighting, the works. Lots of folks patiently leaning on instruments, waiting.... (nobody leaning on a harp though)

They played a set and then Jimmy said he was going to get this jam going and they would be right back. I went back to my business at the bar. Next thing I know he's up there with the signup list calling folks up. He called up a drummer, keyboardist, bassist, guitar, guitar/vocalist.....and then me. First set. I was momentarily in shock, and deciding whether to look around and say "Where is that a-hole?" and then work my way out the door, or just go up. I hadn't had a chance to explain I only had five harps (and little position mastery outside of 2nd and a lame 1st/3rd - note to self, work on that!). I also had no gear at all, not even the digitech I sometimes pack along for situations like this. I had a few beers, not drunk but enough to give me courage to do the right thing. I had gotten in free after all, under the pretense of being a musician. Time to pay the cost. I went up nonchalantly, like the badass I am (not). Chatted up the guy settling down on keys, he was from out of town and as lost as me as far as how it works. The rest of the band looked like hardened regulars from the streets of Chicago, scowling hardened no-nonsense pissed off mofos.

Anyway, I was happy that the first song was called out in A, and grabbed my D harp. Even happier when he called G for the second, and I could use my trust C harp. Both were blues classics, I forget which now, but ones that I knew well from our own (awesome) local jam in Harrisburg PA. So I was comfortable, and it was a rush while playing to think I was up there on Buddy Guy's stage in downtown Chicago, home of electric blues, Muddy, Walters, etc. Now, I'm no Smokey Joe Leone or anything, but the crowd seemed to appreciate what I was doing, or was extraordinarily sympathetic (or drunk), I heard noises resembling clapping, whistling and hooting. The sound was fantastic on stage. I was worried about feedback, cupping the SM58 vocal mic, but heard none so I assume the sound guy saw me grab it, noted "F'ing harp players" and adjusted the EQ. I sure wished I had my Sonny Jr Cruncher though, then I would have showed them!!

I was in the zone after two songs, ready to go. What's next!! Gimme something hot!! And then I heard the "Thank you's" and saw the rest of the crew packing up. Whoops, two songs only here, as opposed to our jam where you get four. Understandable given the numbers, but still a bummer.

So anyway, maybe the jam is different when Jimmy Burns is running it, or maybe things have changed with the new location, or it was just a lucky thing but I have nothing but good things to report about Buddy Guy's Monday night jam at the Legends club in Chicago. Go for it!!

Bill Hines