Re: [Harp-L] Was Rehearsals -- Now Head Dude vs Democracy

I am the leader/ front man of my band. I built this band about seven years ago. I do all the booking, all the song selection, organize and run all rehearsals, I do all the singing, I own the whole P.A., and I have final say on all band matters. It sounds like a recipe for hard feelings with somebody at some point, but this has not been the case at all. I have only had to replace one member since the bands inception. He had a drug problem that was hindering the band as a whole. After two warnings he was asked to leave. That was very early on. We all get along GREAT, we are a band, and a family, and everyone is perfectly happy with the way the band works. I really believe this eliminates any drama, or infighting with the band. The major draw back is it's a TON of pressure on me. Sometimes it gets a little difficult, but for the most part it's all good. I'm 44 years old, and have been gigging pretty steadily since I was 16. I've been in many bands over these years. They were always a democracy of some form, and there was always drama. There would be cliques, and power struggles that eventually brought the band down. My personal opinion is that it is a lot harder to be a democracy, than to have one clear leader in a band.
                         Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Iwan <haliwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 16:29:15
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Was Rehearsals -- Now Head Dude vs Democracy

Hello All

Great thread Rick !!

While we are on rehearsals how do you guys decide what songs will be played? Since there is harp in the band, does the vocalist only choose(too many It Hurts Me To)(slow) for my taste or since 3 of us sing should it be a democratic process(strings seem to stick together-- 2 guitars & bass) leaving only me and the drummer who just wants to play. I want variety of grooves and tempos not just songs I/we like/know already. It takes some work as stated in earlier reply to Ricks query.           Not sure if this came out right.

How do companies suceed? They have a big dog that lays down the program is my thinking. I'm thinking of a song on a Robert Cray cd: Too Many Cooks Spoil The Stew thing with many bands.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hal in MI