Re: [Harp-L] Was Rehearsals -- Now Head Dude vs Democracy

I think a band needs a leader who is an occasional benign and benevolent
dictator.  At some point, somebody has to choose between competing ideas and
opinions regarding songs, arrangements, gigs, etc, etc, etc...

That role has fallen to me in my band.  I make the call when there is a log
jam or when consensus would take too long.  I've played in bands (and known
plenty of other bands) that have a dreamy-eyed vision of some kind of
totally democratic band that shares all decisions and thinks they will end
up agreeing on everything.  There is a word for bands like that:  Defunct.
It never works for long.

I mean, ya don't have to be all Caesar about it, but somebody has to make
the decisions so the band can move on.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog