Re: [Harp-L] Was Rehearsals -- Now Head Dude vs Democracy‏

I think most people have that dream of a democratic band, because it seems like that would be the way to make everyone happy.  And I think that theoretically, that's possible.  But in practice, it's very difficult to find even two people who are of one mind musically, much less a whole band.  The bands I've been in without clear leadership have been a complete mish-mash of songs with no common thread or purpose, no real direction.  Things just don't seem to get accomplished.

In my band (there are four of us), I share leadership duties with the guitar player.  We DO share the same musical vision for the band and therefore we generally choose the music.  When we first started out, though, it wasn't that way because none of us were the step up and take charge types.  Someone told me though that every team needs a quarterback -- it doesn't mean he's better than the rest, but someone has to call the plays.

Scott