Re: [Harp-L] How to record a jam session

Hey Garry,
That is great advice and I have heard many of your LIVE recordings, they are really high quality!
You made ref to my Scotch Blue 3M painters Tape Jingle..."When u  take it off, your gonna like what u see"
They have stopped airing it so when I go to my mailbox "I DON'T like what I see",-)
Oh well, glad it's workin for ya!!!!!
All the best,Rob P------Original Message------From: GarrySender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: [Harp-L] How to record a jam sessionSent: Sep 16, 2010 10:42 PM
On 09/16/2010 12:57 PM, Bill Kumpe wrote:> There are some very good small digital recorders available these days.  For> less than two hundred dollars you can buy the recorder, a table stop mic> stand for it and get surprisingly good recordings.indeed.  i would, however, recommend two accessories:
i keep a (boom type) mic stand in my trunk, and usuallyuse it, vs. the table stand route.  this gives me a lot offlexibility in positioning the recorder, both to get a goodstereo image and to get it away from noisy bar patrons.
also, get a roll of blue 3m painter's tape.  i use the 2" widesize.  this is really useful in taping down cables, securingyour recorder so it doesn't get knocked over if you usethe table top stand, etc.  it is also really useful when youcan't find a place for the mic stand, but there's a goodspot where you can just tape your recorder to a wallor something.  there's a pillar in the middle of the room,about 6' from the stage, in the bar where the local jamhappens.  it's the perfect spot, but you can't put a micstand up or people will trip over it all night.  so i justattach the mic stand adapter that comes with my H2,and tape it to this pillar, wrapping around the pillara couple of times.  great sound, out in front of thesometimes noisy crowd, out of everyone's way.perfect.  the tape peels off easily, does no damage,leaves no residue.  great stuff.  makes me thinkof rob p. every time i use it.

-- We make a living from what we get,but we make a life from what we give.- Kathy Moser

Sent from my Verizon crackberry phone!