Subject: [Harp-L] Buddy Guy Legends Monday jam/ SmoJoe playing at GSHF

Great info, Val but you don't give yourself enough credit...

As begun anew last year, the Garden State Harmonica Festival was the
perfect final 2009 Convention after Spah in August...as a great Thanksgiving
gift to those of us who are geared to the New York Jazz scene and felt such a
lack of a harmonica gathering here in our area, as well as something we can
get  to far more easily.

Will Gallison, Randy Weinstein, Phil, Smokey, Enrico, Hendrick Muerkens,
Charles Spranklin...bringing such a great jazz vibe - Enrico playing his
guitar  in the hallways late at night for anyone who wanted to keep on jamming
along, as  well as Marv and Roger, of course.  There was something for every
taste.

It's Enrico's Trumpets Jazz Club which has become a site for the Garden
State Club's 2010 harmonica Spring and Summer 'Flings'. It can't get much
better  than this - yet it does with the addition of Rob Paparozzi and Dennis
Gruenling  and the young 'blues guns'...

2009's Festival was such a HUGE success, mostly due to the  indefatigable
Val Redler who seemed to be everywhere at once..President of the  GSHC as
well as co-Festival chair....and still somehow fitting in practicing  for a
performance on stage Saturday night with the HarpBeats.

Buzz Krantz and Warren Bee were part of 2009..keeping things hopping.
Howard Levy showed up with Rob Paparozzi. LD Miller played guitar and sang
while  Zach Gaviria played harmonica - then traded off on harp while Zach played
 guitar....they repeated the 'beat-box harp duet' for my own camera in the
lobby.  Jay Gaunt had an impromptu lesson from Howard Levy ..as did Josh
King.

We had real musicians backing anyone who wanted to go up to play in  the
bar/lounge area for a very mellow and laid-back evening jam...with much less
pressure than at this past SPah's heavy duty jazz jams. I was even brave
enough  to play a bit (something I'd never have done at  SPah)...

This Convention has already made huge strides in joining  together the
diatonic and chromatic worlds...Blues, jazz and classical...with  every other
genre of music in the mix as well. In such a brief time GSHC has  catapulted
from its previous mostly chromatic and trio vibe to a much more  modern and
inclusive sensibility. Everyone's welcome and everyone's made  to feel
welcome. This year there will a much better main room (entirely  renovated)
available for us attendees -again due to Val's unflagging efforts.

It's just two months away...time to make your plans. There is no better
time to be had ....at the East Coast equivalent of SPah.

Elizabeth

"Message: 5