Re: [Harp-L] Digitech Vx 400

Leonardo Cozendey Crespo wrote:
<any impression on the digitech Vx series?
<
<It seem like the RP but directed to voice.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the VX400, for various reasons.  First, it's a previous generation of technology, about an 8-10 year old device, and it's been discontinued, so there's no point in my developing patches for it.  It includes some distortions as well as mic modeling, but it does NOT do amp modeling, which for most harp players is pretty important.  Digitech is still making the Vocalist 300, which is the same generation of technology; I think Rob Paparozzi and Randy Singer used to use these, don't know if they still do.

For most players, I think the big question with a device like this is: is it going to sound great with harp right out of the box?  It might--your odds are certainly better than they are with a device designed for guitarists.  If it doesn't, you might be able to program it to sound good, but it's a little bit of work. So it's definitely a try before you buy type of thing.

FYI, the RP patches I ship with every order include a full set with no amp modeling or EQ, just FX (like reverb, delay, chorus, reverb + chorus, etc.).  If what you want is clean harp with FX, or an FX box to go with your favorite amp, that set will do the job just fine.  In fact, in my most recent performances, I'm running the vocal mic through an RP250 loaded with that set.  And if you decide the next day that you want to go back to making nasty, sweaty, amped-up sounds, you can just hook the RP up to the computer and load in the other set I provide.

I should also note that I recently bought a Digitech Vocalist Performer, another discontinued device.  It was the least expensive harmonizer I could get my hands on.  All it does is create upper or lower harmonies to go with a vocal, plus reverb. I like it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick