Re: [Harp-L] Harp buying in southern Japan

Hi Jake
Welcome to harpL.
Some Harmonica facts concerning the harmonica and the East, for those who may not already know.
The Harmonica is used in schools the way the Recorder is in Europe. It is the 'people's instrument' in China. China's mass production blossomed from a ex-European (Hohner?) plant that was abandoned in the time of the boxer rebellion.
The principle of the free-swinging reed is attributed to the Japanese's some 2,000 years ago. It is much used in the Sheng, an instrument used in classical opera. I had one once that I wanted to turn into a chord harmonica of sorts but it turned out that I found the Harmonetta easier to work on than the Sheng. Though this says more about my lack of hand working skills than it does about either instrument.
Any way suffice to say that they do have a big free reed history all over the East and South-east Asia, so I would think that you should be able to find suppliers in your area, it may pay dividends to ask a local school who supplies them with their harmonicas. I know that the Chinese Christian Youth Hosteling Association gives Harmonica classes (mostly Chromatic & Tremlo), so a call to your local C.Y.H.A. may also give you some good leads.

Yours David