From: Joe Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Help with Tuning
To: Captron100@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011, 10:01 AM

On Apr 9, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> Our problem:  we just can't get those blow reeds up out of the slot, in order to tune them.  Don't want to bend or break
> them.  Is there something simple to use?  Somebody mentioned part of a CD case, but I haven't got a clue what that is.
>

>  Others addressed various methods re how to (gently) poke a blow reed up thru it's slot. The Lee Oskar tool kit also contains a brass tool for this purpose, but a toothpick will also suffice.

I always used a flat toothpick or simply a (hammer) flattened pin. (Btw, I'm not trying to beat anyone out of a sale here). Tools are good but we have been endowed with thumbs and this allows us to MAKE tools.

>  Once u get the reed above the slot, a thin automotive feeler gauge is used to support the reed while you tune it.

Right, at LEAST the heft of a razor blade. Frankly, 'I' would use a piece of single edged.

>  I suspect the "part of a CD case" that u refer to are the two thin metallic strips that can be found when u cut open the plastic anti-theft devices that are glued to most items sold in department stores nowadays.  They might be too thin to use to support a reed when tuning,

I agree. One has to be careful that one doesn't push down too hard on the reed while trying to tune it and put a 'whip' in the reed shaft which will cause it to flex enough to actually bend down INTO the slot somewhere along it's shaft. The anti theft device would only suffice for someone with a very delicate surgeons touch. (disclaimer: I have know surgeons who had a ham fisted touch, so the point IS..err on the side of caution).

> but they are great for scraping around the edges of reeds and slots to eliminate burrs.

Yes, a wonderful find in the world of home made tools.  :)
smo-joe