Re: [Harp-L] Why Blues Jams are Important

On Apr 13, 2011, at 5:21 PM, Buck Worley wrote:

> SJ-
>
> Well stated and point taken.

Oh, and trust me now or trust me later, I agree with you and was just giving another (somewhat jaded) look. :)

> However, last time I checked, The American Federation Of Musicians requires members to file at the local Union Hall if they plan to play for free.

This is true but something has happened over the years. The union doesn't seem to want to loose members, and I guess they softened up? Not sure, just guessing.

> I DO NOT advocate this rule.

I suppose it was ok in it's day, but things are getting rough. :(

> I dont think they enforce it anymore. At least I have not heard so. In fact I have been fined for playing harmonica not only yfor free but for performing with non-union musicians at a PAYING gig. The later was in Louisiana before the Right To Work laws. OUCH!!! That REALLY sucked.

Yes, I have heard that. But here there have been cases where the musicians have won. Of course, the union probably dropped them as members. I suppose the unions don't have the weight they used to have. I remember they did in Pittsburgh, but in Fla. they don't seem to?

> I say if non-professionals want to play for the fun of it, just to get out there and try out their chops on a live audience, that is a good thing. Jams are a great place to network, too. I am pro-jam. It is a necessary thing for multiple reasons as you stated.
>
> Sometimes I tell club owners that I will play for free, it's the loading/unloading, setting up/tearing down, reloading/unloading, putting up with the drunks, etc that I get paid for.
>
> I have played in Fla. and understand how the seasonal economyy is. There is a lot of money down there and I want some of it! <grin> I got paid every single time and would never drive down there and play for no pay. In theory, that would hurt the local musicians. :D

Again, I agree. What we basically have are a few musicians who ARE getting paid, and a TON who do it for either the fun of it or in desperation because they have no other outlet. The ones who hurt us the most are older guys who are retired music teachers and professors, former members of bands, or retired people (like me) who don't need the money.

Keep on bending...smo-joe