Re: [Harp-L] Re: SS vs. brass reeds

Hi
many years ago when I started playing harp, a Hohner Echo-vamper was almost the only 10 hole Richter tuned diatonic one could get, in the U.K.. At that time a harp would last me a day of breaking-in (or getting used to) and one gig on top form and one gig where they could be iffy.

Much water has passed under bridge since then and the last time I blew a harp out was 0ver 20 years ago. Simply put the better one's technique is the longer a harp will work just fine for you. Yet every element that is used to make a harp will go towards the playing / response shape and endurance of the instrument. No instrument can be all things to all players.

Were the perfect harmonica ever made and widely sold it would spell the end of the harmonica manufacturing industry with-in two generations. So lets rejoice in the quirky Axes we got and raise a glass to those who strive to improve them.
"*Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?"* R Browing ;-)
David