[Harp-L] Re: SS vs. Brass vs. Phosphor Bronze Reeds

  As Vern says, until there is a rigorous scientific test, we shall just
have to rely on anecdotal evidence.

So far only stainless steel and brass have been discussed. For what it's
worth, my experience is that Suzuki's phosphor bronze reeds are the longest
lasting of any brand/type I've tried. I started with Hohner but got
frustrated with reeds failing in the middle of gigs. Though I could replace
them it was a drag and a hassle. I found the same with Hering reeds. Then in
the early 90's I tried Suzuki's and was struck by how bullet proof the reeds
were. I wasn't working for the company then, but all through the 90's and up
till I was employed by Suzuki in 2007 I chose Suzuki reedplates in whatever
combo harp I was creating for myself (CX-10, CX-12, CX14, and all my
diatonics).

I haven't given Seydel's stainless reeds a real test so can't comment on
their longevity, but have read good reports from players.

One thing we're forgetting in all this discussion of materials is the
critical part played by reed profiling and milling. Hohner claim to have
improved their reed profiles for the new generation of reedplates that
started coming out in about 2005, largely under the watch of the esteemed
Rick Epping. As I understand it, they rounded out the heel from the rivet
pad to the reed, reducing stress; this should increase reed life. If you
examine Suzuki's reeds carefully you'll see they've had this soft heel
profiling for a long time.

Then there's the milling factor. Those horizontal (90 degree) grooves left
by the profiling machine create weak points where reeds crack - a bit like
the serrated tops to plastic packaging to allow us to rip them open.
Polishing reeds to eliminate these grooves extends reed life, which is why
many customisers offer it. And the B-Radical's longitudinal profiling is
supposed to extend reed life by avoiding the horizontal grooves - any
anecdotal evidence on that? Then there's the type of machines used for reed
profiling: Suzuki's are done by hand with an ingenious method, which they
say reduces the scoring marks.

So any test of pure materials for longevity would need to take these factors
into account, which would be very complicated to arrange!

However a test of different brand reeds (regardless of materials) should be
possible. But after the debacle of lat year's infamous SPAH Comb Test, I'm
steering well clear!

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic