Poor Michael (Rubin -- lotta Michaels on this list!) will just have to weather my nails-on-the-chalkboard sounds during our lessons until I either get better enough with my valved tone that he can stand it, or else master overblowing, which I haven't *completely* given up on. He is a good sport, among his many other virtues!

I am grateful for everyone's support and encouragement as I slowly find my way.

Elizabeth

On Apr 18, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Michael Rubin wrote:

From: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: April 18, 2011 1:55:08 PM CDT
To: philharpn@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Valving vs. Overblowing/Overdrawing

I think anyone can, with hard work, control either technique. It's about the sound. Which do you like, or more importantly which do you NOT like. Personally I would prefer a third option where the sound would be more like blow draw and bent notes. I think both overblows and valves sound a little off. However, I, humbly and in my own opinion,personally, not sweeping generalizingly, think valves sound WAY off, as in nails on a chalkboard off, whereas a good overblow is passable. The older I get the more I am into avoiding both of them altogether. But if I need that note, I overblow.

On the other hand, I fully support Elizabeth's explorations and I am
very excited about what she will come up with.  I am a big Hesshead!
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com