[Harp-L] Re: Playing chromatically on a diatonic instrument

Dear sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
Two years ago, I also was intrigued by the chromatic-in-diatonic potential of diminished tuning. But when I bought a dimi harp from Seydel, I found, as Andy Newton found a couple of years before either of us, that having to bend one out of every three notes was simply not going to ever sound like music for me. When Andy Newton reached that conclusion in early 2007, he began to think systematically about the problem of getting chromatic play in a diatonic harp, and that is what led him to discover fourkey tuning. Fourkey tuning uniquely allows chromatic play on a diatonic harmonica with just two draw bends per octave, and four major keys can be played without any bends at all.

Jazmaan has given us a remarkable new demonstration of fourkey tuning on his new 14-hole harp at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UqML8KFxH8
But I won't pretend that I can play April In Paris like that on my fourkey. He uses chords a lot there. Even after playing a fourkey harp for 2 years, I cannot do any good chords on it. Most of the great alternative tunings have been designed to provide some good chords, but fourkey tuning was designed to allow chromatic melodic play, and so of course chords are not its strong point.
For a demo that shows the simple strength of the fourkey harmonic, let me suggest that you should look at Jazmaan playing Misty, at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5un0JAkWoc
If you want to play like that, you should give this instrument a try!

I have tried to collect links to all the online information about fourkey tuning at
http://4keyharps.wordpress.com/
I noticed that the archives of Andy Newton's original articles from harmonicasessions.com seem to be unavailable now. I have pdf copies that I cold post if they remain unavailable, but the gist of his argument is summarized on this web site.
-Roger

-Roger