[Harp-L] RE: Buckeye Cancelled

I have long suggested that the harp community needs to encourage family
friendly playing opportunities and performance venues if they want to
attract a new generation of players.  Let me explain my logic.  In order to
want to play, you have to hear the instrument played and played well.  I
can't speak for other cities, but here in Tulsa the best harp playing is
usually heard in venues that are inappropriate for children.  (I frequently
have a hard time getting my conservative and or/religious ADULT friends to
attend performances at clubs, bars, etc. No matter who is playing, there is
just no way are going to amble on down the local biker bar even if Charlie
Musselwhite is playing.   So, I would suggest the harp community divert some
effort into developing squeaky clean, local, family friendly venues.
Further, there are not a lot of harp playing opportunities for young harp
players.  You may have a promising twelve year old kid who could use
performance experience who would also encourage other young players.  But,
you certainly aren't going to invite him out to play the weekly jam at
Bluto's Blue Note Bar and Grill.  You'd be breaking the law by sneaking him
in and no kids would hear him.  We need places where kids this age can
mingle, learn and  be mentored by older players.   A lot of kids start their
music career/hobby in church.  But, when was the last time you heard harp
played in church?  I have heard it once in the past twenty years and then it
was not a particularly good performance.  So, perhaps we need to encourage
gospel harmonica as well so that venue can open up to young harp players.

Just some thoughts.

Bill Kumpe

Tulsa, OK