RE: [Harp-L] RE: Buckeye Cancelled

My first point is you cannot base your art primarily upon venues where it is
illegal for children to be in attendance and then expect to grow a new
generation of players and expand your base.   My second point is that there
is a huge untapped audience that the harp and blues community ignores.  I
know lawyers, presidents of companies and even ministers who are closet
blues fans but cannot (for social reasons) attend the local venues.  They
have no conflict between the music and their values but a lot of conflict
with most of the venues and especially the perception that would attach to
them from being seen there.  Take my comments at face value.  If you make it
a prerequisite that you be an adult before you can hear a live performance
you will have a hard time replacing your population.  If you make it a
prerequisite that you attend a certain type of establishment to hear your
art you will have a hard time expanding your base beyond those who already
attend those establishments.

My wife and I were in the academic community for a long time.  You could
hear good jazz on campus all of the time, cheap.  Student players, prof's
who played for fun and sponsored performances by big names. All very
respectable.  Good quality music and great fun.  Some of those same jazz
players regularly cross over into church orchestras, play solos occasionally
and may even put together a jazz mass or cantata from time to time.  Why
can't the harp/blues community do the same thing?

About gospel players.  They don't need your venues.  You need their
audiences.

Bill Kumpe

Tulsa, OK

  _____