Re: [Harp-L] harmonica hypersensitivity pneumonitis?

I've had asthma for 20 years and pretty much know my triggers and can recognize quickly when something is affecting me. I've never really gotten a sense that harmonica gunk has caused me any problems. On the other side, I've found that slowly drawing in holes 1-4 and blowing out the same holes on a low D help to break up congestion. Something about the vibrations of those low tones.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Rossen" <jimjimdr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:34 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] harmonica hypersensitivity pneumonitis?

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is lung inflammation (that could lead to asthma, bronchitis, and lung tissue damage) related to an allergic reaction to foreign materials. The inciting agent can be infectious (bacteria, mold, fungus) and/or chemicals.

The link to a respected medical journal below discusses
hypersensitivity pneumonitis attributed to saxaphone playing.  The
probable mechanism is inhalation of fungus that colonizes the
instrument.  Harmonica is mentioned as a possible serious offender in
this disorder since playing involves routine inhalation across the
instrument, though no clear cases of harmonica hypersensitivity
pneumonitis are described.  The author proposes that the disorder
could be reduced by regular cleaning that reduces the burden of
colonizing microbes.

Has anyone noticed cycles of wheezing, coughing or breathlessness
associated with playing harmonica?

Jim R

http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/content/138/3/467.long