Re: [Harp-L] B-Radical

I wanted to add a little something to Don's post. Don is dead right about not
rushing to get a mediocre product out. People not in the know think that means
sitting around gawking at the instruments or something, and why don't they just
hurry etc., but that's not what it means at all.
After working there, I can come back and run Elk River better than ever because
of the skills i learned from brad and the workload in a hundred different
directions i learned to work under and i'll tell y'all right now Brad worked
harder than any one of us. You could not imagine the pressure that bears down on
HH to get product out faster. When I was client relations manager, oh boy, did I
ever feel it! We were all working full bore, 100 percent of the time.

Here is an example of what not rushing to get a mediocre product means, from
something I saw when I was there: there was a time last fall when the
coverplates we were supposed to get weren't there when they were supposed to
have been and we ran out of coverplates, again, you can't imagine the kind of
pressure that was on us to get instruments out the door. when the parts finally
arrived, it felt so great, we had coverplates and we could start getting B-rads
out the door again. But, no, there was some imperfection in them. 200
coverplates, all with some kind of imperfection.  i don't remember what it was
exactly, but Brad rejected the entire batch because of those imperfections. we
were not about to send them out like that, because that's not how HH rolls and
it's not how Brad rolls. that was about three weeks lost. Any idea how precious
that three weeks was to us? damn precious.
When you are in a situation like that, with that kind of pressure, you have to
have a set of brass balls to stop production to keep from sending out a
substandard product.

By the time i left in february, most of those types of things had been ironed
out and they were still working on improving when i left. even if everything
runs to perfection, it doesn't mean that everybody gets their instruments
tomorrow, but it means that there is a tangible end to the backlog nobody
anticipated. there's no machine where you pull a lever and out pops a b-rad.
it's still a hand-built instrument.  under the best of conditions, that takes
time.

Also, there was a post a few days ago requesting that a maker retool and mill
reeds vertically. Vertically-milled reeds has been this holy grail makers have
been after since at least the 1930s, I've seen documentation going back that
far. The B-radical is the only harmonica with vertically-milled reeds. Having
seen it done at Harrison, I can see why has done it. It's not easy to do, not
easy at all.

David
www.elkriverharmonicas.com