Re: [Harp-L] Spah Conventions

I think what is really needed to strengthen this whole little world of ours is a
resurgence of local clubs. A lot of us sit around wondering how to get the
instrument out there like it was in the 1930s, well in the 1930s, players were
out there, in your face in the community. They were organized and they did
stuff. The stuff I have seen the Huntington harmonica club do in West Virginia
is outstanding. They are out there and vocal in the community.

The question I would pose for all is "are you a member your local club?" Ok,
maybe there isn't a local club to join. Maybe a lot more of us should start one.
I think what Huntington is doing is a good model. Huntington hosts the West
Virginia state championship, which will be in August. I remember back a few
years ago, I was going to start a state championship the following year, but the
Huntington Club beat me to it and what I started became the Ohio Valley
Championship.  I'm glad they did, cause the contest was a lot of work and its
better for me to put my energies in their show than to hold my own. Adam Gussow,
Pat Missin and I will be judging it this year.
Do you have a state championship in your state? The only ones I know of are
Ohio, West Virginia and Florida. Maybe you could start one. Maybe you could
organize some things to get the instrument in the community. I think what the
Huntington Club is doing is a good model.

David
www.elkriverharmonicas.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elk-River-Harmonicas/143747822356030