Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic/chromatic

Ok, here's the deal. You have a physical object, and you use it to make
sound. This is how music is made. Beautiful music is made regardless of how
many sounds that object can make. This means whether you can play 4 notes or
40. However, to say that it is a waste of time and detrimental to the music
to try to learn to play the diatonic chromatically is as silly as saying it
was a waste for charlie parker to try to get very technically proficient on
the sax.

It is of course important to be able to make music with less, but having
more simply means more things to make beautiful music with. The very act of
having more notes and technical facility to utilize doesn't make a person
all of the sudden lose musicality. That is a property of their musicianship,
and trying to master their given instrument is a way to widen their
sound palette to express more. The double bass was never meant to be played
on like a guitar.... are you going to say Scott La Faro or NHOP should have
never tried because it was fetishizing the instrument? How about any of the
great banjo players of today (bela fleck anyone?) ? Or dare I say.... THE
ORIGINAL BLUES MUSICIANS, on guitar and harmonica.... all of whom developed
a way of playing the instrument that was not how it was "meant" or
'designed' to be played at that time. We should be encouraging people's
search for expanded uses of their instruments, not telling them they are
inherently bad.  Certainly there are young guys mastering the technical side
of things and losing sight of the music, but technical facility does not
require the loss of the music.

Al*so, as for "Giant Steps", I think it is entirely possible to play
comfortably  on it with a C diatonic.* Here are two videos of me attempting
to do so. *Please *listen to them* *let me know what you think. One is a
faster version, just played by myself, the other is a little slower with a
backing track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWaepc8kfEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm5P5wX6l5E

 I *do* realize I have a LOT to learn in terms of further technical
comfortability and certainly TONE, however I just turned 21, have been
playing harmonica for just under 2 years, and will of course be working on
these aspects of my playing for decades to come, trying to learn from
everyone whether they play diatonically or chromatically, harmonica or tuba.
 And just because I play this stuff, doesn't mean I don't spend half my time
playing Chopin, beethoven, Sondheim, Sonny Boy, Deford Bailey, or any other
type of music, fast slow, heavy in notes, or otherwise. It's music, people!
Just be glad we have something to make it with, and encourage those who do,
no matter what they want to do it on!

Sam Friedman

sammyasher@xxxxxxxxx
youtube.com/sammyasher