RE: [Harp-L] Diatonic/chromatic

Like with JR Ross, it may sound strange, but I do agree with most of your
points.
Your question is a good one : then, why ?
I guess for the same reason which pushed guys to bend notes to play the
Blues (which must have been seen at least as complicated as playing OB/OD
today).
They did it because it was the music they wanted to play. Why not choose the
guitar then ? You could bend notes much more easily. Because the harp was
the instrument they wanted to play.

By the way, I know a lot of harp players whose bends are not good. Nobody
tells them it is because of their instrument, which is not designed to bend
notes.
Another point : I use a specific technic, which considers that an OB/OD
should be done in the exact same position as the opposite bend.
I've never heard any player from the States using this technic, I don't know
why, but I think one can consider that if the harmonica is designed to bend
a draw note, it is also designed to bend a blow note using the exact same
technic, in the exact same tongue position.

To answer your question, to play the kind of Jazz I want to play, you have
to play in all 12 keys. You can not think in terms of position anymore. And
this difference is a huge one (even H. Levy thinks in terms of position, if
I'm not wrong).
My instrument is the harmonica. I don't want to play the saxophone or the
trumpet or whatever.
And my instrument is chromatic, so the rest is a question of work.
Plus when I play with saxophones & trumpets, these guys usually love the
marriage of our timbres. None of them complains about my sound. It is all
the contrary.
So these are my very simple reasons.

Am I good at playing in all 12 keys ? Far from being perfect, but not bad.
Like any saxophone amateur player. Not that much sax players can play well
in E Major. Nobody asks them why they didn't choose the guitar, where E Maj
is simple.
The strange point is that my playing seems to be a problem only for harp
players who don't play chromatically.
In a certain way, they are the only ones who wonder why I'm not Charlie
Parker. But I have admitted long time ago I would never be Charlie Parker,
whatever instrument I choose to play on :-)
Let's say I am as a bad musician as a saxo player who would have spent the
same amount of time on his sax than myself on my harp.

Last but not least :
The guy who climbed the mountain thinks he did it "because it was there".
But the very first reason is because he had the feeling he could make it.
Otherwise he would have stayed home, with no doubt.

I don't try to convince anybody, really, I just try to explain my own
motivations in playing in all 12 keys, in many different scales, on the
instrument I love.

I would like to insist on the fact that I totally respect your opinion as
well as JR Ross' one. There is no bad feeling behind all this.
I know it is not always obvious to express different opinions by email, plus
I'm not very good in written English.

Best regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse