Subject: [Harp-L] 36 harmonica fests, an overview

Absolutely perfect post about Harmonica fests, Smokey. You hit every nail.
I have UTmost respect for the SPAH staff too. Kudos to all of the unsung,
behind  the scenes hard workers.

I'd solely wish to address this one small point you touched on,if I  may?

" b... Someone mentioned the price of gas being a factor. This really
isn't. A drive to Garden State entails 100 gal. If the price of gas goes up 10%,
 that's a difference of $35.oo. The TAXES and other ridiculous charges on
the  hotel rooms is more than that in only 2 nights." (full post snipped)

...Great point. And since precisely BECAUSE of the nickel and diming the
previous Hotels had been doing to the attendees at Garden State (and  herself
as GSHC President), Val Redler, together with Phil Caltabellotta as her
Co-Chair of the Festival, spent an inordinate amount of time over this past
extremely cold Winter seeking out a better venue/more accommodating Hotel
for the next Garden State. It took time - their standards and requirements
were  exceedingly high. As a result, the next Garden State's venue will be even
 more Festival-friendly with Hotel Rooms costing only $82 a night  WITH a
hot breakfast (for free) for each attendee. That's a big $25(?)+  difference,
enough to perhaps make up for the other typical charges and/or  increase in
gas prices.  I should add that it's the lowest price I've ever  seen for
any such Hotel stay here in the Northeast US. This Hotel really wants  the
convention so should be far more user-friendly.

...and one more thought in re 'freezing' Hotels (for any  Convention). Has
anyone ever spoken to the management of these Hotels  ahead of time to
explain just how much savings they could realize by NOT  setting the indoor
temperatures at such extreme levels? It's not only bad  for chromatics and valved
diatonics,but during a typical SPAH/other Festival,  quite common to see a
large percentage of the women (and many  men) wearing jackets, sweaters or
even coats indoors and even forced  to exit performances due to the icy air
blasting down from the  ceiling. Just went through it in Williamsburg and it
wasn't at all hot outside.  I found it quite difficult to do my usual
videorecording of the  Saturday night performances because my hands were so cold I
was bobbling  the camera.

 There seems to be such a disconnect between what is necessary for air
exchange and what the Hotels must spend on the process. IMO they could save  a
great deal of money by adjusting the temperatures upwards. Perhaps  we
attendees are simply not 'squeaky' enough.

Carry on. :)

Elizabeth