Re: [Harp-L] Asking to sit in

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Paul Cantin <pcantin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> never, EVER, ask to sit in. ..no one will be embarrassed and you won't put
> them in a position to say NO!

Yes, I can see your point. Thanks for joining the thread.

I don't mind being told no. They don't seem to mind telling me no.
(No loss of respect or dignity, so far)

Is that the only reason?

Maybe it's in the manner of asking: I am genuinely stoked about the sound of
the band, and tell them so.

Maybe it's the venue, although I would have missed jamming with some
wonderful players around the world if I hadn't made the suggestion.

... a lounge combo at a Marriott, Costa Rica. John Hartford (writer: Gentle
On My Mind) on a paddle boat crew in Natchez, MS. Buskers at Pike's Place
fish market in Seattle, WA.

Maybe it's cultural/regional. We have different expectations
of social behavior, depending on where we are raised. (Remember those
out-of-state relatives?)

What do you think it is?

Robert Hale
Learn Harmonica by Webcam