[Harp-L] Re: asking to sit in

And the reality is, the band always has a bigger picture in mind than just making music. At least with me and my band, anyway.

I want to make sure I put on a professional performance. If I start having people sit in, unless they are top guns, it's gonna look amateurish.

I want to be asked back by the club owners. I want mo' gigs. I want to establish an identity to the band, and when someone else comes up and particularly does their number, I'm no longer presenting "my band."

And the top guns understand, since they have gigs of their own, that there is no guarantee for them to be invited due to their presence. Vice versa. I'm cool with that.

Keep in mind, there are nights when all the mojo is working just right, crowd is going crazy, and there may just be room for that guy. You really have to evaluate each situation.

But by and large, that is my policy. And I'm stickin' to it.

Ray.

--
My Music – www.resgraphics.com/music
My Facebook – Ray Beltran & BlueMax