Re: [Harp-L] Asking to sit in

Once upon a time...my friend ( knowing I was a little down)  slipped $10 into the tip jar and told the bandleader there was a good harp player sitting next to him.
During the break the bandleader  approached me...( I did not know about the $10 bribe)....Flattered, I sat in and kept sitting in .. for 14 years....I joined the band...
Sometimes it takes a little investment....lubricating the band during the break can work wonders..
Getting them a lead for a gig works too....
Your fan club is your best leverage...in some cases....but I must agree, express what you like about the band what they are doing in a sincere and knowledgable way
This is the real ticket....("like that Charlie Christian lick you put on the end of that solo")...Would make me curious about a player.

I do agree that the guy that comes up during the set and declares he is great player ....is rarely all that...but you never know...
Even the guy with the Ammo Belt harp filled  vest...might still be learning the basics......and the crowd might still say...."wow, he was great"!...

Grant Walters