Subject: [Harp-L] Harrison Harmonica's shutting down - open letter to Brad

This is purely my opinion, so please don't berate me or assume I'm a
spokesperson for Harrison. I'm not associated with them at all other than as a
satisfied customer.

Fwiw, Drew, I was only asked to put down an initial deposit for my two
B-Radicals, which I did - along with most of the other people I know  who
ordered the harmonicas from Brad, knowing full well (at the time) that  we were
the first 'investors' in a brand new start up and innovative company in
which he'd poured every bit of his own life savings along with every penny he
could otherwise come up with.

I never got any feeling whatsoever that Brad was attempting to defraud me
or any of his other customers and I trust my instincts about people. In
fact,  over the time span it took to get first my C and then much later my Bb
(both  engraved with my name so they took even longer than usual), I was
informed  periodically of my order status. Both Dave Payne and Mike Peloquin
worked for Harrison then and I had perfectly fine interactions with each.
Apart from them, several other people were also putting in long hours trying to
make this harmonica the perfect instrument that was Brad's  vision.

When mine were ready I was notified, paid the balance and  received each in
short order, albeit a year+ apart. I know this is how it's  worked for
other people as well. Since the number on my 2nd was in the 1500  range I'd
assume that they'd completed that many harps by the time I got mine,  every
penny of which was poured back into the company for rent, machinery,  salaries,
raw materials, etc. I would read and follow the info about  Harrison and
watch the occasional videos, marveling at how anyone could keep up  that
grueling pace. What they were doing was, in effect, producing a fully  custom harp
but doing it in a tiny factory set-up. Anyone working there was  doing so
because they believed in the dream because surely nobody was making  enough
money at all on which to live.

While I didn't get weekly or monthly updates, there was sufficient
interaction to keep me apprised. I'm not an impatient person and simply waited
until my own were ready. My reasoning was that I wanted Brad to be  actually
spending his productive hours working on the instruments rather  than wasting
his time online having to respond to impatient customers. If I  added to
that huge burden it would not only reduce the amount of sleep he was  getting
(and already obviously deprived of) but take that much longer for my own
harps to get to me. Process of deduction.

I DO know for a fact that Brad Harrison as an individual gave up everything
 in his life to make this dream work. Every cent he ever had (and then
some) went  into building these harmonicas, and any time outside of building
them trying to  drum up more financial support (he originally won grants from
Chicago for his  pure innovation) to keep the dream alive. More times than I
can count I'd  wish to have been in a better position to invest in his
company, because that's  all it would have taken...more real and solid financial
backing - to give him  the breathing room to circumvent the inevitable
problems which always crop  up.

I can't at all fault him for this. He is only human. Perhaps it was always
an impossible dream. Perhaps there was absolutely no way other people could
 learn to build them quite his way or put in the same kind of hours and
devotion  Brad did - without pay, to continue filling orders. I don't know. I
do know  I would never have wanted to 'walk these last miles' in his  shoes.

 I feel desperately sorry for him too at this point because his dream  has
crashed down. It has to be a terribly painful experience. I  understand your
and others' concern about possibly losing a certain  amount of money, but
this is also his entire life. From my reading of  the email, your money isn't
lost..the harmonicas will be completed as per  the orders.

As a customer I received the same email as you. I believe whichever company
 he has designated to finish his harmonicas WILL do so to his same exacting
 standards since they're still the B-Rads and even while they were coming
out of Harrison Harmonicas, Brad had been hiring and training other people
to  work on them. Now that another company will be doing the work to his
specifications I doubt he'd allow them to be finished to other than the  same
level he demanded from day one, and that those of you whose harps are  on
back order might be better off waiting for your harps. Presumably all the
parts and materials are there and simply have to be put together into the  new
harps and then fine-tuned. I'd guess he simply collapsed from  exhaustion
trying to do it all.

One person simply can't make custom harps(which is what they are) on that
scale. As I see it Brad kept trying to turn out each harp as if it was a
hand-made custom, but on a production level. I don't personally know more than
 you, but this is what I've gleaned from my interactions and association
with the  people from Harrison over the last few years.

Also, fwiw - I paid as much as (if not more) for harps made by a customizer
 (NOT anyone from Joe Filisko's group), who raised his prices to $250 per.
and  was still using cut back covers and raw edges from $30 MB's and GM's.
While the  harps are 'quirky' looking and play very well, they aren't close
to being the  objets d'art which is a B-Rad with its amazing reeds and
everything else brand  new and different. I treasure my two B-Radicals. Someday I
might gift them to  'whomever' only because I don't believe in selling
harmonicas, especially the  special ones.

If I found myself in your position I hope I'd be able to find the patience
to wait for the finished harps since they will, in all likelihood look and
play exactly like the same B-Rads I have in my possession.

Much luck to you and everyone in this situation.

Elizabeth
PS - might I suggest removing your subscription info from  the Harrison
email since it gives more personal info about you than you probably  want
widely known?

"Message: 7