Re: [Harp-L] Blu-Tack and Solder WAS: Optimized Blues Tuning

As Vern has stated (if I got it right) pitch is raised by increasing the stiffness of the reed. Blu-tak won't do that, and soft solder will only do it a bit, because it's not very stiff itself.
Adding or reducing weight at the free tip works to speed up or slow down the vibration of the reed, and reducing metal at the rivet end makes it less stiff.
This how I understand it. What I now want to know, is why a reed is effectively stiffer when it is played with a reverse breath (ie an 'overblow/draw') ??
Vern ...?   ....anybody...?
RD

>>> Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/08/2011 4:54 >>>
>
> Richard Hunter wrote:
> The only lack I see in this approach is that you can't tune the pitch of a
> reed up using Blu-Tack--only down.  But I suppose that applies to solder,
> too.

Solder does raise pitch when applied near the rivet, but reed response is
sluggish. I don't care for the sound of reeds I've done this way, so I
simply plan to LOWER the set around what I need. I do raise a 1/2 step by
scraping the tip.

I'm encouraged about the use of Blu-Tack. I'll go try it. Stable and
relatively permanent until removed, huh? BTW, there are 6 brands of
"adhesive putty" found on Google Shopping for a buck each. Same stuff?

Robert Hale
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
Low Rates, High Success
http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL <http://www.youtube.com/user/DUKEofWAIL>