re: [Harp-L] Optimized Blues Tuning

Heiner Kr?ger wrote:
<I always find it interesting to read about players using special tunings and those who retune their harps by <themselves.
<
<I admit though that since you're able to order harps with special tunings from Hohner I got to lazy to do it <myself.

You can buy a few special tunings from Hohner, as I recall.  Natural Minor, Country--anything else?  You can get more than that from Lee Oskar, and you can build even more combinations by swapping Lee Oskar reed plates between harps.  But these are all essentially variations on Richter.  If you want to make a more radical tuning--for example a non-Richter tuning like the Powerbender--you either order it from Seydel or make it yourself.

If you're experimenting with new tunings, it's time-consuming and expensive to order it from a manufacturer.  Once you know the tuning works for your purposes, it makes sense to order it.  Until then, it may make more sense to set it up yourself.

Finally, if you need a special tuning right then and there, it's a good thing to know how to make it.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick