Re: [Harp-L] Little Walter

I have to say that any  inferrence that West (with a "T") Weston is "doing" or
"completely recreating" Little Walter is quite unfair & innaccurate. He's
authentic alright, a great frontman & sideman, rooted in classic postwar blues,
but he is no copyist.

There may be a few bars in several minutes of performance that echo some of
Walter's phrases, but that's about it. West has a very different sound, phrasing
and attack. Less legato, punchier, a middier bite.

About the only aspect that I can find that they have in common is that West
plays with a fluency that few musicians achieve, he plays harp like most folk
speak their mother tongue.

Was Walter ahead of his time? Well, I guess if recreating his playing was
commonplace today, then I might agree, in that respect. But it isn't. There are
only really about a dozen players around who can do a passable impression.
Unique? Certainly. Timeless? Sure, I'd agree much of it remains fresh, no matter
how many times you hear it...and there's always more to hear.

For me, a lot of the seduction of Little Walter's playing is the "intangibility"
of it, that it's elusive & hard to master and there's a dynamic to his playing
that isn't common today.

Regards, Mark.