Re: [Harp-L] Rod Piazza " DISCIPLE'S"

Correct - the word should be "Captured" not "conquered".....And Rod Piazza most certainly is totally UNIQUE as an ARTIST - and the body of work he represents is untouchably HIS and only his genius...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MARK BURNESS<mailto:markwjburness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: Frank Franze<mailto:franze52@xxxxxxx> ; harp-l<mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:28 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Rod Piazza " DISCIPLE'S"

  Hi Frank,

  I don't look at it like Piazza is mountain to be conquered, or an Emporer to be deposed...he is one of the best living players for sure, but both West & Dennis are quite distinct from Rod. He is not "surpassed", they are just different, talented and respectworthy in their own right.

  Piazza's influence is significant in amplified blues harp and I'll bet you any money you like that Dennis & West have some of his recordings, but they have their own voices. They can all exist in the same timeline without disturbing the temporal equilibribrium & destroying space, time & matter. It's not like royalty in the days of old, "The King is dead, long live the King" where there was no overlap in "succession" (for want of a better word).

  Your statement is more like, "Hot dogs have conquered burgers and chilli dogs taken it to a whole new level!" :-) Senseless, as it's not a "either/or" scenario...you can have it all! ;-)

  Piazza himself is never going to tell you that he conquered George Smith or Little Walter. He has a remarkable body of his own work, but he had his influences too, he didn't fall from the sky fully formed.

  I do appreciate & concur that the comparison should be seen as a genuine compliment.

  Best regards, Mark.