[Harp-L] Lo Rider contrary motion

I wrote the other day to give everybody a heads-up on my looped recording of Lo Rider (http://www.hunterharp.com/?p=781).  In response to an inquiry or two, let me note that the contrary motion lines in the harmonica that start at about 2:15 are played on the harmonica in real time--they are not overdubbed, and they are not generated by an effects device. These are pretty close voicings, and it's not all that hard to play with a little practice, but it's unusual enough that some harmonica players wondered if it was done with an FX device.  It's not.

The same is true of the open 10ths, 11ths, and 12ths on the harmonica line that opens my recording of "It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry" (http://www.hunterharp.com/?p=771).

The FX certainly make these kinds of things sound bigger, but the basic technique is about playing the harmonica.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick