[Harp-L] Play Music

I Read Splash's comment on "Playing" music. In my opinion, perfect!  I tell musicians this all the time. The work is getting gigs, getting paid, promoting yourself, moving equipment (I like setting up, but I'm weird), most of the stuff that is off stage. I decided early on to keep a bubble around the stage, noticing that in entertainment, whoever had the most fun won. The show was OUR show, MY show, the audience will see all of what we got regardless of pay or outside distractions. The policy has worked, I've been able to make a humble living as a Harmonica player and entertainer for a long time and have a blast doing it... but it seems like an instant.

When I watch a band and the leader, or anyone on stage, looks at their watch, I'm done in the audience. I know time needs to be managed but this can be done by a clock placed somewhere. Something strange happens to a musician the first time they get paid. The thing they did for hours in the basement becomes a "job" and breaks become important. Try longer sets, fewer breaks, you'll be surprised how fast the show goes.

I took a break from full time playing (I've always accepted live playing opportunities, it is my addiction), and harp-L reading to care for family situations. I gotta say, after reading harp-L posts the past few months, the quality of many of the harmonica players and posts, especially from Europe and South America, is awesome and daunting.  I am actively pursuing playing again based out of South Florida, assembling/looking for a group to sink my teeth into, so I figured it was time to comment on a harp-L comment, one dear to my heart, "playing" music. Not going to work, but going to play, and working hard that the show is great and there is an audience enjoying the show.

My web page needs a bit of sprucing up on the music side but there is one part harp-Lers may enjoy.  http://www.tostmusic.com/harmonicaserenade/ is a slideshow of harmonica photos I put together. There is another version of this on the photo page of my website since I started dabbling into visual arts.

Thanks for all the insights, posts and passion,

Clay

----------
Find most of  my Music, Designs, Photography, Ropes  Course information at
http://www.tostmusic.com
http://www.claygoldstein.com

Music:
http://www.tostmusic.com/harmonica
http://www.tostmusic.com/songs

Visuals:
http://www.tostmusic.com/visualDesign/index.html
http://www.tostmusic.com/photography/index.html
You Tube: A Toy Soldier's Story" - http://youtu.be/0z9JqS1PU6I
Harmonica Serenade: http://www.tostmusic.com/harmonicaserenade/
onesock.com: http://www.tostmusic.com/onesock/index.html

Experiential Learning  — Ropes/Challenge Programs
What is it?    http://www.tostmusic.com/images/experientialBrochure.pdf
Florida:
Team Solutions, Florida: http://www.teamsolutionsfla.com
Florida International University: http://trac.fiu.edu/
Florida Atlantic University (Go Owls) - http://wise.fau.edu/ropes/
Missouri:
The Leadership Ranch: http://www.leadershipranch.com
Contact me for other Experiential Learning and Ropes Course options around the USA.

Clayton Goldstein
(417)894-4434