Re: [Harp-L] Re: soundproofing an interior room - another idea

On Dec 2, 2011, at 4:02 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Here you go: those who think having a 'booth' of some kind to play
> harmonica within is the best solution for sound 'proofing'.
>
> I stumbled upon this Indoor (can be used in a shed or garage as well) 8'x4'
> quick assembly/disassembly hydroponic 'growing room' (booth) on Ebay. Free
> shipping too (which won't help those outside of the US but there might be
> something similar available in other countries). I imagine if one were to
> line the floor with a thick piece of carpeting, get some batting (they make
> rigid versions for sound proofing) to tie up to the ceiling and walls  (A
> lot of States have centers where one can buy unused/leftover home
> construction materials for low cost specifically to benefit Habitat for  Humanity) -
> bring in a chair and a good light - it might make a nifty little  fairly
> sound-proofed harmonica 'playing studio'...so there you go.
>
> _http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFLECTIVE-MYLAR-96-x48-x78-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-R
> OOM-/310362527189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48430c55d5_
> (http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFLECTIVE-MYLAR-96-x48-x78-HYDROPONICS-GROW-TENT-ROOM-/3103625271
> 89?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48430c55d5)
>
> The bonus is - you could play for the plants you might want to grow as
> well: fresh vegetables all winter? <G>
>
> Elizabeth

This is sort of the idea I had with my 'refridgerator crate' idea. Back in our old drug store, they had 2 telephone booths. And unlike those of recent years, these had a seat built in where one could get off their feet if talking for long periods. They had to be about the size of a small shower stall, and once you dialed your party, you could sit down and relax. The dang things were pretty sound resistant because someone could be loud in the one while the other was relatively quiet. There was a light, a ventilation fan (stores weren't ACd back then), and a shelf. That's where I got the idea. And while they were full height inside, I didn't see this as an issue. I practiced trumpet in it, so harmonica would be a wash. I haven't seen a booth like that in 50 years.

smo-joe