Subject: Re: [Harp-L] soundproofing an interior room - another idea

Geez, Vern....how did growing 'weed' come into this?

Some of us are bona-fide gardeners who love growing vegetables in our
gardens in the limited time available to us in a Northern Spring/Summer and who
think hydroponic/aeroponic gardening for Fall and Winter is a great idea
for  healthy eating. Further, I personally don't have any interest whatsoever
in  'weed'.

My suggestion of this indoor hydroponic 'booth' is specifically because
they really CAN cut down on sound if they're placed  further inside a bigger
room and not up against a wall. As long as one  adds a good thick base inside
(carpeting?), and something on top (thick   batting, perhaps?), the sound
could even be prevented from transmitting to the  apartment (or room) above
and below. The idea was to use this as a starting base  and with some
ingenuity pad it out enough TO be used as an improvised sound  booth (which run
into the $5,000 and up range for anything close to this  size).

I've read numerous articles in re the issue of sound problems in High-Rise
apartments and Condos and the use of simple sound panels mounted on walls
and/or  special vinyl sound deflection material inside studs IS succeeding in
 cutting down tremendously on sound transmission. It's an ongoing issue for
 many people today...so every little bit helps. For those who can't open up
a  wall, this is a possible alternative solution. I'd certainly try it if I
still  lived in an Apartment.

As to the site Michelle posted - these are the very same hydroponic 'tents'
 and shows the various sizes available, but at much higher prices for the
same  size (8x4x6-l/2feet) I found on EBay and posted earlier. BTW, the same
seller  still has more of the same size coming up for under $200 - the newer
site  wants more than double that amount.

The material isn't plain 'fabric' and one can also easily add  batting or
sound reducing curtains (hang them on plastic or wood rings from the  upper
rails?) for sound muting.

As long as no moisture is introduced (necessary for plant growing),  a
'booth' of 8x4 should be more than adequate to play music comfortably in  for
some time while seated since it's nearly equivalent in size  to many current
Apartment bathrooms, as long as one takes adequate breaks and  doesn't build
up any high levels of carbon monoxide. A small LED lamp  should give
sufficient light since it also doesn't build excess heat (I won't  recommend
fluorescent lighting since they trigger migraine headaches for me  and others).
Just how big is the inside of a car with no windows open? There  should be
nothing remotely 'stuffy' about this kind of set up  - we're not talking about
a tiny box.

Since I don't live in an Apartment and have the ease of being able to play
at all hours of the night in a high-ceilinged room without concern over
disturbing anyone, I don't need such a thing...but I'd like to know that
there's  something affordable out there for those who do have noise restrictions
in their  housing because it would kill me personally to be unable to play
my music  at will.

Elizabeth

"Message: 11