To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Favorite Mic

Well, up until recently, my favourite mic was my Crystal Balls (Astatic). I'm
slowly coming to terms with the fact that the crystal has gone. Thanks everyone
for the advice. I have not completely let go yet. I've taken the element apart
and once I dissolve away the glue on the diaphragm, I'll be able to see if the
crystal has just slipped and can be easily fixed. Not sure what mic I'm going to
look to to get a nice crunchy sound, but there seems little point in trying to
replace the crystal since it is so hard to get them. A little piece of history
is slipping away.

For a clean sound (non blues), I love my SM58. I also use a cheap Radio Shack
lavelier mic that I hold in my hand by slipping it under my wedding ring. This
allows me to get a lot of dynamic hand sounds and also percussive sounds.