Re: [Harp-L] Hubert Sumlin

I was at a Kim Wilson concert last night and they opened with a quick tribute to Sumlin.

Scott Harris
President
scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
805 / 498-8718  x105
www.mustangmktg.com

www.facebook.com/mustangmarketing

On Dec 6, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Mick Zaklan wrote:

  A little surprised no one mentioned the passing of bluesman Hubert
Sumlin a couple of days ago.  Best known for his work with Howlin' Wolf,
Hubert probably worked with a lot of harp players throughout the country
over the years.  Hopefully, some will write in with remembrances.
  When I was first starting out, I was fortunate enough to play a dozen
gigs with the great blues mandolinist Johnny Young.  I wasn't much of a
player back then but, since I booked the gigs, I made myself the harp
player.  We always used pick-up musicians, many of whom came out of
Johnny's extensive address book.  I often never knew who I'd be sharing
the bandstand with until I picked Johnny up at his house.  One night we
were playing a high school dance and following us to the job were the great
blues drummer S.P. Leary and the guitar genius Hubert Sumlin.  They took
the job on short notice and informed me that they had to get up early the
next day to drive to the East Coast with Howlin' Wolf.  They had a gig at
"the Boston Philharmonica."
  It was an extraordinary evening and Hubert was just reeling off
one burning solo after another.  For a gymnasium full of sixteen
year-olds.  On break, we had a chance to chat and I quickly realized that
this was a extremely gentle, warm human being.  I still don't know where
those incendiary, nasty guitar solos came from.  They didn't seem to fit
Hubert's personality.  Just a goofy, brilliant guy with a whole different
way of playing blues guitar.  I will miss him.

Mick Zaklan