Subject: [Harp-L] button reattach

Hi Ben:

I've had very good results with Gorilla Glue - just the tiniest amount
inside the 'button' end (it expands), push on the button and then placing the
chromatic between two stacks of heavy books with just the tiniest amount of
pressure on the button end to have the glue set up. I left it overnight and
 by the next day it was tight.

Gorilla Glue attaches 'like to like' materials, but excess will 'foam' out
of the opening so you do need just the tiniest dab. IF you do accidentally
use  too much, wipe it off immediately.

I did this with a 260 chromatic button back in 2004/2005 and it's  still
holding as solid as a rock all these years later.

For the other chromatic nearly anything can be used as a replacement button
 - but I think you can order exact parts from the Company directly.

_http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1625_
(http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1625)

if it's a Hohner, that is.

 Wooden (or even ceramic) beads, Nuts (as in bolts), end caps from  metal
knitting needles are all fairly decent substitutes.  An alternative  would be
to scavenge the entire slide 'part' with attached button from a used  (and
cheap) EBay-bought chromatic (after thoroughly cleaning it of  course).
These can occasionally be gotten for less than $30, scrubbed  down and saved for
parts. In this case you wouldn't care if the comb was split  as long as all
the metal was not rusted and in good condition. This also gives  you extra
reeds, reedplates, covers, mouthpiece screws, bumpers, etc.

Much good luck,

Elizabeth

"Message: 2