Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Election

Very well said, Winslow!

 You've synopsized the points which troubled me too. I've taken  the
liberty of going back over your post to remove the 'AE' thingamajigs (which  show
up instead of apostrophes). They seem to be part of a particular  program
and make for difficult reading on the digest. Hope this turns out a wee  bit
better.

On reading Warren's post I could only think that SPAH would have to charge
dues far in excess of the current $45 to remotely implement  what his team
seems to have in mind. Just what does 'real  benefits' mean? SPAH is a
non-profit and needs to continue as such. We  already get quite a bit for our $45
annual dues: producing Harmonica Happenings  costs real money. And as to
any hint of SPAH being  'exclusive', I personally know that is just SO wrong
on so many  levels.

Based on an earlier harp-l posting I got the distinct feeling  Warren would
like to see SPAH turned into a fairgrounds type of convention and  greatly
expanded, perhaps even to camping out. This would effectively eliminate  90%
of those who currently attend (and who created the current SPAH model). I
do  know that friends who've attended YellowPine find it very uncomfortable
and are  thankful it's a much shorter 'convention'. Most of those of us who
like our  creature comforts want SPAH to continue being held in a Hotel, at
least for  the foreseeable future. Camping out wouldn't work for us, nor
would the idea of  having over a thousand+ attendees (with the resultant need
for security and all  of those extra costs).

 That other kind of harmonica 'happening' is great for those  who want to
put on yet another harmonica festival, but why try to change SPAH so
drastically? There is both room for SPAH and a separate harmonica fair done
cheaply.

Some time ago many of us took some of the residual mutual 'dissing'
between blues diatonic players and old-time chromatic players as a  personal
challenge. There had to be a better way to get these folks together -  to create
some mutual respect on both sides. So over the last few years  there has
been a clear melding of the two 'factions' (I've personally introduced  people
to each other where I thought they'd have some commonality),  with several
getting together - perhaps first for meals and then in groups  no matter what
style of harmonica they play. Marv Monroe does it with his guitar  and
XB-40's; Jimi Lee too, with his guitar and harp-in-a-rack. People of  all
persuasions love Joe Filisko and Paul Davies. Everyone plays or gathers  around
them. SPAH encourages this.

 Since I have friends in both 'camps' it does my heart good to see the
camaraderie. I've loved watching Jason Ricci in the front row cheering on  his
great friends Al & Judy Smith for instance, teaching himself to play a
chord harmonica and even including the HarpBeats as part of the Sacramento
BlowOff (a first ever). Al & Judy have gone out of their way to attend  Jason's
shows. Who would possibly see a connection between them? Yet there is.  It's
all to do with the heart. At the blow-off many of the blues  attendees
there had never once heard a harmonica trio play before and said so  (after
giving a standing ovation and raving about the trio's performance),  precisely
the reason Jason wanted them exposed to Phil, George and (at that  time)
Wally. A way of opening ears.

During a Blues show/Seminar half the audience are older people who might
not usually have a whole lot of interest but stay out of respect so why
wouldn't  diatonic players return the favour? Respect breeds respect and I've now
been  lucky enough to see it grow considerably over the last few years, at
least among  those with open minds and hearts. To me that's what SPAH's been
about - to  toss old ideas out, perhaps open oneself up to new po
ssibilities and make  friends across all sorts of lines. It's been working.

As to the Younglings, at our most recent Garden State Festival  some kids
from a local School were extremely interested in the Bass  and chord
harmonicas - trying them out in Danny G's vendor's store. It was a  real treat
hearing these kids show so much enthusiasm - they'd no idea such  instruments
existed! Within a few minutes one was actually figuring out the  chords.
Amazing to hear. Earlier, Hal Walker had demonstrated the  Khaen among other
instruments. THEIR ears are open to the musical possibilities  and GSHC has been
continuing the Young at Harp program begun at SPAH. I can't  imagine
anything more INclusive than this, the many overseas visitors  showing up at the
Conventions; or the several Hotel Staff in New Jersey so  intrigued by the
playing they expressed strong interest in learning  harmonica.

I do very much like the idea of having control over my own information  at
the SPAH website. An idea long overdue, imho.

I've long appreciated those unsung and mostly unseen heroes of SPAH who get
 it all done - the same volunteer group who continually work behind the
scenes to  actually make every SPAH work and I know just how much you
appreciate them  since you gave them full credit years ago in a conversation with me.

Frankly, Winslow, to me you're the natural successor as President of SPAH
and I was very much hoping you'd run even though you haven't blown your own
horn  much at all..... yet. <G>

Elizabeth

Message: 6