RE: [Harp-L] SPAH Election

I'm curious to hear from the candidates as to what they think is a realistic projection in terms of maxing out SPAH membership and how SPAH's membership size compares with other similar organizations (e.g., the National Harmonica League or Harmonicas de France Fédération). And where does SPAH's current membership count (800+ if I read correctly in a previous e-mail) stand in terms of a trend for the organization (is it a peak or somewhere in the middle)?

For what it's worth, I'm not a SPAH member. I've been playing the harmonica for 4 or 5 years and have really fallen for the instrument, but it's a hobby for me, and one toward which my money tends to go toward either equipment, music, and/or learning materials. And realistically, Harmonica Happenings is probably the only reason I'd sign up for membership since I'm not likely to spend the time or money on the convention (it sounds like a fantastic event and I'd love to meet some of the people I've befriended over the years via Harp-L, it's just nowhere near the top of the list of priorities for me). On top of that, I just don't tend to join many groups/associations (the draw of which would be the social aspect which I wouldn't likely take advantage of due to my schedule--fulltime employed/father/husband with parents and in-laws facing medical issues).

It seems like SPAH could probably better leverage technology to gain broader exposure and interest through social media (YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). I know they've started to do a bit of this, but while it may not be expensive necessarily, it does require dedicated, talented volunteers (having worked for and volunteered for a number of nonprofits, I realize how hard this is to come by and that relying on volunteers is not necessarily a sustainable model for longterm growth).

The current discussion reminds me a lot of a nonprofit art association that started in the city I used to live in. There were many wonderful ideas and lots of momentum to pursue different avenues to promoting and supporting the arts, but once we started holding an annual art festival, that took up 95% of our time and energy (and pretty much all of our funds). So the big questions seem to be what is a realistic goal in terms of expanding and sustaining membership, and how to improve/sustain the quality of the current convention while adding benefits to members as a whole (and what would these benefits be)? Would music stores or harmonica manufacturers give a discount to SPAH members? Would pros hold exclusive on-line chats with SPAH members?

Anyhow, just wanted to share a few thoughts and hear what the current candidates thought about these issues. I'm mostly a lurker on the list, but I've grown very fond of this community and am continually impressed by the endless talent, dedication, passion, and support.

-Marc Molino