[Harp-L] Re: Politics and Blues Harp

Bill, I don't know many born again christians who don't talk about their religion, nor many atheist radical lefties like myself who don't talk about our views, too.  Because it's important, and blues music cannot be independent of sociopolitical awareness, or spirituality if that's your bag, since it's not just a popular dance music form but rather a mode of expression born of the experience of oppression, slavery, alienation, survival, community and personal spirit.

Does that mean I won't enjoy Randolph Family Band because they're evangelicals?  I'll dig their music, and pay the ticket price, not because of their religious message, but because of their positive energy and personal expression.  You want to boycott for political reasons, fine, but don't complain that there is a message, just that you don't approve of it.

I'm just glad when someone has more of a message than, "she got junk in the trunk" or comparing women to cars or horses, a la "mustang sally."

'Cause when someone's playing crappy harp, or even great harp, they better have something more than a good back beat, pop-y lyrics or snappy licks to keep my interest!

Dave "My Harp is My Megaphone" Fertig