[Harp-L] Re: Politics and Blues Harp

I have rarely if ever heard a musician ... especially a blues harp player
... inject politics into a performance. Unless it was billed in advance as
being for this or that cause, or unless the performer's biases were already
well known. Pretty hard to preach politics or religion when you are
performing in a nonpartisan, secular venue. Not saying it doesn't happen,
just saying ...

The most recent widely publicized incident was some years back when the
Dixie Chicks spoke out against the war in Iraq. Big backlash (and pro-lash)
over that. Harp content: Hard to preach while blowin' harp, but from a
purely soul standpoint it can happen. Blackballing a performer for his/her
political views seems a bit much, but that's just MHO. I would be upset if
a performer spent a lot of time politicking during a show for which I paid
money to hear music. There's too much political B.S. in our lives already.
When I go to hear music, I don't need more.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA