Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic technique

Hi Daniel,

I was busy formulating a set of second-order partial differential equations describing the multidimensional dynamics of a system of freely vibrating harmonica reeds when this other question of yours arrived. (Just kidding; even figuring out restaurant bills is too taxing for me.) Afraid my advice is just practice, practice, practice. The problem, of course, is timing. Transitioning from one note to the next might involve a change of holes, a blow/draw change, and a slide-in/out change. All need to be precisely synchronized to produce a clean sounding note change.

Unlike old-timey music and Irish music where folks often play in unison, music such as bluegrass allow the soloist some freedom to embellish the melody and do some improvising. Really difficult melody lines might be replaced by similar lines that are easier to play and as pleasing to the ear. One advantage of playing a C chromatic in all keys (as I do) is that it is easier to avoid getting stuck playing the same riffs over and over again. A riff in one key might be extremely difficult, but easy in another key.

Glad you and Tony enjoy my new bluegrass CD,
David Naiditch
www.davidnaiditch.com