From: MundHarp@xxxxxxx [mailto:MundHarp@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 February 2011 15:23
To: amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Hello Angus,
I had a long telephone conversation with Larry Adler, on the telephone... I
was going to drive him from his home in London to the National Harmonica
League Festival, in Ely, UK... it was just a short time before he died... We
chatted about his book... Well it was more of a magazine style publication
than a book, that was published some time  before world war two. In it, he
explained embouchure... And there were some drawings showing tongue
blocking, it also represented music... In standard notation.
Well, Larry Adler explained that he was not a great sight reader... And that
he himself was essentially a "pucker player". OF COURSE.. He tongue blocked
for octaves and such..... But in his instruction book he had simply
explained the percieved "correct way" to play harmonica...
He also told me he mostly simply "heard the music in his head and played
it." I guess that meant that he... Mostly... Played by ear... As do I.

Sincerely,
John "Whiteboy" Walden.
English.
But educated in Ireland,
and just now in the Philippines.

In a message dated 2/2/2011 8:28:54 P.M. Malay Peninsula Standard Ti,