Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass

Hi:

I just want to make sure that I don't give the impression that this beat stuff
is more complicated than it really is. When you explain it, it comes off
complicated, I would imagine the part about spreading out a syncopated rhythm
over multiple measures would sound more complicated than it is.I want to make
sure it's clear that there is no wrong or right way to do it. I know I don't
approach a song with any preconceived notion of how the rhythm is going to go
down before I play a song the first time - or even a song I've played before if
I'm playing with new musicians. When you play with musicians, you feed off one
another, you compliment one another. Sometimes, you'll accent what they are
accenting. Sometimes, you'll accent what they don't. It just depends and it
won't take long for you to get the feel of it.
One thing I'd like to add:
Note what David Grisman does here on the mandolin at 3:14 while Doc Watson is
picking lead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-tuhyWgt00
So the set up of music at that moment is like this:
Doc is playing lead.
There is a rhythm guitar playing.
David stops playing chords and plays a 7th note.
What happens when you play one note like that? You change the chord of the whole
band. let's pretend the band is playing a G chord and you are cross harping on a
C harmonica. You bend down the 2 draw to an F. The result is: the band is
playing the notes G B D, you throw in an F note. Now, the band is producing the
following notes G B D and F, a G7 chord. That's why you don't have to play a
complete chord on the harmonica if you don't have it. You can play double stops
and it sounds perfectly fine because the other instruments are playing the notes
of the chord you don't have on the harmonica.
A ton of players do that without realizing it. I started thinking about that
watching my grandpa on the mandolin. I never saw him play a full chop chord. He
always played double stops instead of full chords. On a G chord, for instance,
he would chop only a G and a B note and I wondered why that worked. It worked
because the rest of the band was playing the D note. It was a unique sound, the
overall sound of the band was a full G chord, with a little more emphasis on the
1st and 3rd notes. Another interesting thing I've seen from old school guitar
players is them playing almost entirely basslines - they did that back in the
day when pretty much nobody had a bass, but they wanted that sound they heard on
the radio. My point is, there is no "right" way to do it and you can learn a lot
by watching what musicians are doing on other instruments.

David